Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week Two in Busan

Monday we had Korean class, went to Renault Samsung Motor company (I didn't even know they made cars), and finished up our storytelling preparation. Tuesday, we went to YongSu Elementary where my group taught four and five year olds. I was kind of worried about how we would do, but it turned out really well. They were adorable, and everyone joked about taking them home with us. It was a lot of fun, and we didn't want to leave. Mrs. Na said our group was the best. ;) She told us the day before that we had to do well or we wouldn't have Outback Steakhouse for lunch, but apparently, we did so well that we got to order a feast. After our long, beef-filled lunch, we headed over to Haeundae Beach. I know I've probably said this a load of times already, but it was so hot there. Once we got down to the water, I was so happy, because it was freezing cold, and it felt great. I didn't actually go swimming, but I did stand in the water. The boys had a lot of fun throwing the girls into the water, and I was the only one spared. I think it was because they knew I didn't have any spare clothes with me. I got another awkward tan line on my arms; it only goes up about halfway. Add that to my previous tanline on my neck from the first week, and I just look strange and patchy. When we were leaving the beach, I snapped a picture of this gold building. I thought it was interesting, because you don't see that everyday. After we had dinner, we went to see the light show, which they show every night at 8pm. I liked it alot, and I told Corbin that it was a substitute for our fourth of July fireworks.

Wednesday we had class and a special lecture on Korean economy. After the lecture, we met two of the students who are coming to Lander this coming year. We talked for a while, and answered their questions. They were really nice, and I know they were anxious and excited about this Fall. The rest of the day we had some much needed free time, which I spent doing laundry.

Thursday we went to Beomeo Temple, which was followed by a "dyeing experience" and a tour of royal tombs. That night was very interesting, because we went to a Lotte Giants' baseball game. For those of you who haven't heard already, Ziv got hit in the head by a foul ball. It was hilarious. Here's some still shots and a video link.

We also saw a girl eating fried chicked with chopsticks, so I had to take a picture of that.

There's also a tradition at the games where you put a plastic bag on your head, which we had a lot of fun with.

Friday we had to get up bright and early (I woke up at 5:30am) to get to Seoul by KTX. We went to this awesome traditional place where they film a lot of historical dramas. I was really excited because one of my favorite dramas, Sungkyunkwan Scandal, was filmed. Of course, my camera chose that time to die on me, so I only got about five pictures. After that we went ice skating at Lotte World. On Sunday, we went to the British Council where I met Min Moon, who is a coordinator for the TaLK program (Teach and Learn in Korea); I really enjoyed talking to her. Next we went to yet another palace in the center of Seoul. It was really nice, but it poured the entire time. Later we took a cable car up to Namsan Tower, where it also poured. There's a place at the top where couples write their names on locks so that their love will last forever.

Today we went to the Korean War Memorial, which I was personally excited about. I think everyone else was really interested in it too. We watched a video, rode a flight simulator, and went outside to see the tanks and aircraft. After that, we got back on the KTX and headed back to Busan, where we've been resting. Tomorrow we're starting our temple stay, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to update again, but hopefully soon. I'm really sorry about all the delays, but keep reading, and I'll keep posting!

1 comment:

  1. Business loans, truly, are most expensive than customary business credits. The principle distinction is that business advances accumulate enthusiasm after some time. check cashing san diego